A 33-year-old man died following his arrest by Toronto police in Etobicoke (in the city’s west end) on March 21, 2020. According to the Special Investigations Unit (SIU), the agency that examines cases of police harm in Ontario, Toronto police officers responded to an Etobicoke residence, at Burlington Street and Victoria Street, around 12:30 PM to assist Emergency Medical Services. Officers arrested the man, but “soon after, he went vital signs absent,” the SIU reports. He was taken to hospital and was pronounced dead there.
Two SIU investigators and one forensic investigator have been assigned to the case.
It has not been reported publicly why police arrested the man when he needed medical attention.
Toronto police shot and killed a man in the city’s east end in the early morning of June 7, 2018. According to unconfirmed police reports, officers responded just before midnight to calls regarding a person with a gun on Hymus Road, in the Warden Avenue and Eglinton Avenue East area of Toronto. Police allege that when officers arrived on the scene, one of the officers had an interaction and shots were fired. A person was taken to a hospital trauma center but was pronounced dead there. Police allege an officer was injured in the interaction.
The Toronto Police Association wasted no time in turning the killing by their members onto a call for more police officers in the city and blamed the event on “understaffing,” a cynical ploy if ever there was one. As crime rates decline. Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders responded by confirming that the Toronto police are actively hiring to expand the force, which already takes up the greatest portion of the city budget. Chief Saunders said that the Toronto police are looking to hire 200 new staff members by the end of this summer.
The Special Investigations Unit, the agency that examines cases of police harm to civilians is investigating.
Killer Toronto cop James Forcillo has been charged with perjury and attempting to obstruct justice in relation to an attempted bail variation it was announced on December 21, 2017. The 34-year-old Constable Forcillo allegedly lied under oath when he sought a bail variation that would change his primary address. This resulted in the two new charges, according to Toronto police. The charges result from breach of bail allegations by Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU). This initiated a separate investigation by the Toronto Police Service’s professional standards unit. Forcillo had his bail revoked in November, 2017, and was taken to a Toronto area jail after authorities found he failed to live with his surety and did not provide information of a change of address.
Forcillo had already secured a place of infamy, even within the dubious history of policing in Canada, for shooting Toronto Youth Sammy Yatim (18) multiple times, killing him, while the teenager was alone on an empty streetcar with no one near, and posing no threat to police or the public. Forcillo was convicted in 2016 of attempted murder for that 2013 killing, because he shot Sammy Yatim even after the youth had fallen to ground and was already dead or dying, and was sentenced to six years. Civilian video of the police interaction went viral and showed that Yatim posed no threat to police or the public yet was shot and killed anyway.
Forcillo had been out on bail while awaiting appeal of that conviction. He is seeking to use the bogus “suicide by cop” excuse to get off (even though he had a choice not to shoot Yatim and even though he shot him after he was on the ground and not moving—hardly suicide in either case). Current court records show that Forcillo had applied to have the conditions of his bail changed so that he could live with his new fiancée, Sara Balderrama, at an apartment in north Toronto. However, before that application was approved, investigators visited Balderrama’s apartment and found Forcillo already there. The records allege that he told investigators his new arrangement was “only temporary”and suggest it was Forcillo, not his fiancée, who had signed the lease.
Killer cop Forcillo remains in custody and is scheduled to appear in court to face the new charges on December 29, 2017.
The Special Investigations Unit (SIU), the agency that examines cases of police harm to civilians in Ontario, is investigating the death of a 57-year-old man in custody of Toronto police on the evening of Sunday, November 26, 2017. According to the SIU, the man, who has not yet been named publicly, was sitting handcuffed in an apartment building security office when Toronto police officers arrived in response to a disturbance call. The SIU reports that after the officers searched the man he was returned to a sitting position. A short time later, the man fell over and his vital signs were absent. He was pronounced dead in hospital early on the morning of Monday, November 27. No other details have been released publicly, including information regarding why the man was arrested in the first place, or what the so-called disturbance involved.